We know that the advantage with WCM is we can create pages without depending on the developer, but the problem here is the pages which you create using templates are pre-defined. Suppose if you want to create a new layout then it is not possible with pre-defined templates.
The Adobe come up with a solution for this is creating pages using dynamic templates, the people who have special permissions can able to create templates without depending on the developer.
The content authors use these dynamic templates to create pages and design them however they want using a responsive grid.
Do you think the dynamic template will completely eliminate developer job? the answer for this is no, we need to set up an initial folder structure, template, template policies, initial page components etc.
Now, we are going to create a template folder structure to store our dynamic templates, template definitions, policies, etc.
Steps to create a folder structure
- Login to AEM at “http://localhost:4502/aem/start.html”
- Click on the general in the tools and select “Configuration Browser” thumbnail.
- To create a new folder we need to click on the “Create” button.
- You should see the “Create configuration” dialog box.
- In the title filed which is in the dialog box, enter “dynamic-templates”
- Select “Editable Template” selection checkbox.
- Finally, click on the create button.
Finally you should see the folder structure something like below, you need to login to crx/de/index.jsp file to check the folder structure.
Path for created folder structure “/conf/editable-template/settings/wcm/template-types”